Sunday 22 March 2009

Thoughts on China so far

It recently came to my attention in the haze of a lazy Sunday that I hadn't really done much writing in regard to my time in China. Just several photos and some silly poems revolving around my western perception of the goings on here. I've been here for a month now and I guess I've just started to feel settled; got my own place and am getting to now Liuzhou more and more each day (albeit via my misguided orienteering expeditions). I'm also enjoying teaching and although its very draining there's a good sense of fulfillment and some of the kids are great; perhaps one of the few professional environments where the bumbling Englishman can exist without ridicule, the kids love it whenever I spill water on the floor, smash into doors etc etc.

My first two weeks were spent in a small town called Yangshuo. Nestled amid rolling karst mountain scenery and with the Li River flowing through it, it was a gentle introduction into the lifestyle and culture here, being a hotspot for backpackers and fellow teachers, English was widely spoken and the place had many westerner owned bars, restaurants and coffee houses (though the Dutch one was a little disappointing). The place had a Chinese feel as well with the typical ancient pagodas, the ubiquity of Chairman Mao's face, and noodle stalls. In between a hectic schedule including teacher training, Chinese lessons, and various excursions to local beauty spots, I met many cool and interesting people there from all over the globe with stories to tell and wisdom to share. The usual gathering place was the Aussie run Buffalo bar where many bottles of Li Quan beer are downed amid a strange feeling of international harmony; the nail in the coffin being meeting a Frenchman who didn't wince when I said where I came from. Excuse the minor racial slur.

After these two weeks of, well, fun! The time came to start teaching. There were positions available in the various bilingual schools in Yangshuo, offering accommodation and a decent local wage. I decided however that I didn't want to stay in Yangshuo, there wasn't really a true feeling of being in an uncomfortable yet rich and tempting environment, which is what I came to China for. Everything was at my feet and in easy reach: The English language, veggie food, and of course British humour. I was told by our lovely coordinator Isabella that there was a position in a school in Liuzhou, about three hours drive south of Yangshuo, so our wonderful guide Wen-Tao assisted me on the bus down there, to which I am very grateful to considering the amount of drink and dodgey late night barbecue consumed the night prior. On arrival, we were greeted by the school deputy head Mrs Zhou and an English teacher named Joanna, who speaks very good English and was always happy to help out with any queries regarding the city or the school. After being whisked round the downtown area and being given a tour of the school it was time to get the long bus home to Yangshuo.

I've been in Liuzhou for just over three weeks now, and am gradually getting to grips with being stared at wherever I go - I'm guessing someone over six foot with curly ginger locks isn't too common here - I'm slowly learning Chinese and am meeting some wonderful people. One being the music teacher Jimmy, renowned for his antics and showing foreign teachers a good time. Last night Jimmy, myself, and a few of his friends went to the Asian phenomenon which is KTV karaoke, featuring many drinks and awful renditions of Blondie's "Picture This" by yours truly. One of the highlights of the evening was meeting a guy who seemingly in jest said he could arrange me a Chinese girlfriend. This apparent lightheartedness this was quashed later on when three girls came in through the door and he bellowed "YOU....CHOOSE....I PAY!". Assuming what stood before me was what I thought it was, I proceeded to say in a very English manner "thanks but no thanks".

Theres plenty of other musings and stories to share, but I really need to get down to some lesson planning. In summary, the weather is very hot and humid. Till next time! x

No comments:

Post a Comment