Saturday 5 May 2012

Blog Resurrection

Welcome to the rejuvenation of my blog! Since I haven't posted anything on this site for almost three years, I'm not going to post every blog I've written since then as that may prove to be chronologically confusing. So from now on I'm going to post every blog I've written since 2012 and any that should come if something confuses/amuses me. Any die-hard followers (if you are, then you must have nothing much to do), please check my Facebook page to fill in any gaps. Enjoy!

It's alive!!! 

It’s currently about 10.30pm on Monday the 12th December 2011. I have just spent a very lazy day recovering from the hectic weekend schedule of a training centre English teacher with Simone, which began with being up by the ubiquitous sounds of construction that are inescapable anywhere in China. This time it was someone drilling on the floor above which somehow entered into my dream just prior to my awakening which created the strange sensation as if someone was having a nice release just over my head after a massive curry the night before. It sounded like that anyway. We got up, had breakfast, lounged around, went to the shops to get some Christmas shopping done, and then came back home after which I cooked up my staple fried tofu dish which readily satisfied the taste buds of a certain Cantonese lady. All that was washed down with a Japanese beer and the remainder of last night’s rose wine, which was followed by more lounging around, watching a couple of episodes of Leverage, and a quick blast on the guitar.


I’m currently reading a book by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho which follows the life of a famous author who aside from being pretty lovelorn, mentions some of his thoughts about the processes of writing and using life experiences to create stories, and writing things consciously that contains very unconscious content and messages; using knowledge we have that comes out spontaneously through our daily life actions, which in this guy’s case is writing novels. Anyway its added to my recent thoughts about how I haven’t been doing any writing of any sorts recently, and having looked back at my last blog which was dated around February 2010, I realised that perhaps it’s time to get back on it, and I hope I can still write something of mild interest. Before I started writing this entry, I reread all of my previous China blogs and came to the conclusion as to why I haven’t written any for so long – they all had the tone of me expressing my amazement, confusion and excitement of being in China at that time and wanting to share that with the folks and friends back home. This starry eyed feeling, I have to admit, has dwindled to an extent since living in China for almost 3 years and having a life here, compared to the feelings I had a couple of years ago where I was purely here for the experience, travel and fun. China being China however, I am still frequently amazed/shocked/gobsmacked/impressed on a regular basis by things I see in my daily life, so I hope to report on these things when I see them!

Anyway I hope this is the first of many “New Owain China” blogs. In summary, I’m enjoying a pretty decent life in Beijing, spent cowering from the smog, dodging the dodgy cooking oils and food additives, and generally continuing to behave like the bumbling Englishman in the classroom, not yet quite managing to realise there’s often a step between the blackboard and the rest of the class which always results in laughs across the room when I trip upwards mid-lecture mode. 

No comments:

Post a Comment